Do millionaires wear pearls and diamonds?
British millionaires worth £1.28 trillion
Britain is home to more than 250,000 millionaires collectively worth £1.28 trillion. An estimated 284,317 people have assets worth more tham £1 million - excluding their main home - according to CoreData Research UK. The average level of wealth among British millionaires is £4.5 million. The majority of millionaires' assets are held in shares.
London Evening Standard, 30 September 2010.
British millionaires 2013
The Rich List of Sunday Times that was dominated by inherited wealth and aristocracy is now full of cash earned from commodities overseas, such as steel and oil. Russian-born businessmen make up three of the top five places.
- Alisher Usmanov (mining and investment) £13.3bn
- Len Blavatnik (investment, music and media) £11bn
- Sri and Gopi Hinduja (industry and finance) £10.6bn
- Lakshmi Mittal and family (steel) £10bn
- Roman Abramovich (oil and industry) £9.3bn
- John Fredriksen and family (shipping and oil services) £8.8bn
- David and Simon Reuben (property and internet) £8.2bn
- The Duke of Westminster (property) £7.8bn
- Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli (pharmaceuticals) £7.4bn
- Charlene and Michel de Carvalho (inheritance, brewing and banking) £7bn
British millionaires' 206 ft Benetti.
The Surrey-based Russian tycoon Alisher Usmanov, 59, who has a 30% stake in Arsenal football club, owns iron ore producer Metalloinvest, a stake in internet business mail.ru and a holding in mobile phone operator MegaFon, has topped the Sunday Times ranking of the wealthiest people in Britain and Ireland with a fortune of £13.3bn.
Warner Music's Len Blavatnik comes next with £11bn. The Russia-born media mogul, who now holds US citizenship, sold his stake in Russian oil and gas giant TNK-BP for £2bn last month.
Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin brand, is in 19th place with £3.5bn.
The 1,000 richest people in Britain and Ireland share a wealth of £450bn.
There are a record 88 British billionaires in the list - compared to 77 last year and just nine when the rich list started in 1989, and the Queen was placed top.
There are more than 250,000 British millionaires, the mightiest millionaires in UK.