Do millionaires wear pearls and diamonds?
British millionaires worth £1.28 trillion
Britain is home to more than 250,000 millionaires collectively worth £1.28 trillion. An estimated 284,317 people have assets worth more tham £1 million - excluding their main home - according to CoreData Research UK. The average level of wealth among British millionaires is £4.5 million. The majority of millionaires' assets are held in shares.
London Evening Standard, 30 September 2010.
British millionaires 2013
The Rich List of Sunday Times that was dominated by inherited wealth and aristocracy is now full of cash earned from commodities overseas, such as steel and oil. Russian-born businessmen make up three of the top five places.
- Alisher Usmanov (mining and investment) £13.3bn
- Len Blavatnik (investment, music and media) £11bn
- Sri and Gopi Hinduja (industry and finance) £10.6bn
- Lakshmi Mittal and family (steel) £10bn
- Roman Abramovich (oil and industry) £9.3bn
- John Fredriksen and family (shipping and oil services) £8.8bn
- David and Simon Reuben (property and internet) £8.2bn
- The Duke of Westminster (property) £7.8bn
- Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli (pharmaceuticals) £7.4bn
- Charlene and Michel de Carvalho (inheritance, brewing and banking) £7bn
British millionaires' £140,000 shoes.
Each pair is handcrafted from solid gold and then encrusted with 2,200 brilliant cut diamonds.
The Surrey-based Russian tycoon Alisher Usmanov, 59, who has a 30% stake in Arsenal football club, owns iron ore producer Metalloinvest, a stake in internet business mail.ru and a holding in mobile phone operator MegaFon, has topped the Sunday Times ranking of the wealthiest people in Britain and Ireland with a fortune of £13.3bn.
Warner Music's Len Blavatnik comes next with £11bn. The Russia-born media mogul, who now holds US citizenship, sold his stake in Russian oil and gas giant TNK-BP for £2bn last month.
Sir Richard Branson, founder of the Virgin brand, is in 19th place with £3.5bn.
The 1,000 richest people in Britain and Ireland share a wealth of £450bn.
There are a record 88 British billionaires in the list - compared to 77 last year and just nine when the rich list started in 1989, and the Queen was placed top.
British billionaires 2014
Sri and Gopi Hinduja, who inherited their father's conglomerate moved to London in 1979, run the Hinduja Group with their brothers Ashok and Prakash.
Time has moved on and 12 month passed, we do not speak about millionaires any more. The number of billionaires living in the UK has risen to more than 100. There are now 104 billionaires based in the UK with a combined wealth of more than £301bn.
- Sri and Gopi Hinduja, £11.9bn, up £1.3bn
- Alisher Usmanov, £10.65bn, down £2.65bn
- Lakshmi Mittal and family, £10.25bn, up £250m
- Len Blavatnik, £10bn, down £1bn
- Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli, £9.75bn, up £2.35bn
- John Fredriksen and family, £9.25bn, up £450m
- David and Simon Reuben, £9bn, up £719m
- Kirsten and Jorn Rausing, £8.8bn, up £3.69bn
- Roman Abramovich, £8.52bn, down £780m
- The Duke of Westminster, £8.5bn, up £700m
- Galen, Hilary and George Weston and family, £7.3bn, up £650m
- Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho, £6.36bn, down £635m
- Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber and family, £6.16bn, up £1.65bn
- Carrie and Francois Perrodo and family, £6.14bn, new
- German Khan, £6.08bn, new
- Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, £6bn, up £3.65bn
- Hans Rausing and family £5.9bn, up £1.18bn
- Nicky Oppenheimer and family, £4.57bn, up £785m
- Earl Cadogan and family, £4.2bn, up £525m
- Joseph Lau and family, £4.03bn, down £570m
- Sir Philip and Lady Green £3.88bn, no change
- Denis O'Brien, £3.85bn, up £486m
- Mike Ashley, £3.75bn, up £1.45bn
- Sir Richard Branson and family, £3.6bn, up £86m
- Idan Ofer, £3.43bn, new
London has more billionaires than any other city in the world with 72 - far ahead of nearest rival Moscow with 48.
There are more than 250,000 British millionaires, the mightiest millionaires in UK.